Updated: Oct 3, 2021
Turmeric has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and a medicinal herb. In Ayurveda, it is used to balance the three Doshas Vata, Pitta and Kapha. We’ve listed its top ten health benefits and we hope you find it useful:
1. Turmeric contains Curcumin, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
2. Curcumin prevents chronic inflammation which is thought to be a contributor to many Western diseases.
3. Curcumin has substantial antioxidant properties. It protects us from oxidative damage caused by free radicals which is the largest contributor to aging and various diseases. Curcumin also activates the body’s own antioxidant enzymes to combat oxidative damage.
4. Studies have shown that Curcumin is linked to improved brain function and helps combat various degenerative processes in the brain.
5. Curcumin’s potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties is said to lower the risk of heart disease. When the endothelium (lining of the blood vessels) is dysfunctional it fails to regulate blood pressure and blood clotting. It also leads to various other factors that contribute to heart disease. A number of studies have shown that Curcumin improves the endothelial function and therefore lowers the risk of heart disease.
6. There is some evidence to show that Curcumin can help to prevent and in some cases even treat Cancer.
7. Curcumin’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help prevent neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
8. Arthritis is associated with bone and joint inflammation. Many studies have shown that Curcumin’s anti-inflammatory properties help treat symptoms of Arthritis and in some cases has proven to be more effective than anti-inflammatory drugs.
9. A study showed Curcumin was as effective as Prozac when treating symptoms of depression.
10. Curcumin has become very popular as an anti-aging supplement as inflammation and oxidation are two of the biggest contributors to the aging process.